What makes me special makes me alone? (culture shock)

I originally wrote this post November 24th, almost exactly three months into my stay in Japan. I thought it'd be interesting to post this and show a bit of my culture shock:

The USA is a pretty individual-centric country and culture, I think most would agree. I don't consider myself "a rebel," but since I was a kid, I consciously valued being "weird." I liked finding what was different about me and embracing that--by high school, I had created a solid style of fashion for myself with lots of wild prints and colors combined together in a way that I feel goes together (though some may disagree). I also went into the arts for my career, which is a great place to display what makes me different and special.

So it's interesting being in a country that is group-centric. Just from naturally mimicking people around me, and consciously trying to fit in so I don't stick out so much, I know I act differently here from how I normally do in the States. And yet, I can't do anything about the fact that I'm tall, blonde, blue-eyed--I swear, when I see myself reflected in mirrors in train stations, in pictures, etc., I seem to just reflect light. I am a beacon of white foreignness.

Walking to class today, I was struck by the thought that, by merely existing in this country, there's a lot that is inherently special about me. I mean, for the first time in my life, I am in a minority. Based on everything I said before, it seems like I would like this situation. But it's actually quite lonely.

Being different means that people don't know how to act around me. They don't know what to say or do, how to look at me, what languages I speak or don't. It means that a lot of glances slide past me and a lot of voices don't reach me. It can be pretty isolating.

What has been your experience visiting or living in a foreign country?

No comments:

Post a Comment