One more midterm

Hi folks,

I'm writing to you today because I decided to take a break from studying again.

I haven't studied much.

I have one more midterm tomorrow--my reading and writing class--and a paper due, and then I am (mostly) free. One of my teachers decided to have the midterm next week, so there you go. But I am mostly free.

This student stuff is exhausting. Midterms just seem too intense, at least for language, anyway. I appreciate unit tests, as I think they accurately show what you understood from the lessons. I imagine that midterms are conducted to gauge how much a student has retained from the class so far, but I don't think that's what it ends up showing. I think it shows that the student is able to study a lot in order to remember some information for a test, but I'm not sure it's anything more than cramming, which the student then immediately forgets again after the test. As long as the student understood the information well, they have the tools to continue their study and make an effort to accurately retain the information if they so choose. But at least at the university level, we're old enough to decide if we want to retain the information or not.

This turned into a big rant, but what do you think? Do you think tests have any purpose? Do you like the system you're in? What would you change?

Let me know in the comments!

Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment